Thursday, March 20, 2008

The World Through Art


Eli Pardue
3/19/08
AP Lang Comp
LaMags

I was very excited when I learned that our next blog would be the explanation of art and how it speaks to us. I am a fan of art in general, and i have definite preference for certain pieces that speak to me personally about something that either I have experienced or that i know about. For this reason, I chose The Olive Trees by Vincent Van Gogh. The picture shows an orchard of olive trees, presumably in the south of France. Not only do I love this painting, But I can take a great deal out of the way that Van Gogh distorts the image in order to show that all things are shaped by their environments and their creators. The creator, in this case, is Van Gogh himself, who was mentally unstable when he made this painting. The environment would be the mountains, whose rocky terrain warps and distorts the branches and trunks of the trees. The same applies to humans. Who we are is in part determined by the environment in which we lived in. Also, the image is distorted to show that art is not reliant upon an exact photograph image, but can be more expressive than an exact picture. This is also true for life in general. The relation is cliche-that not everything is necessarily the way it seems-but nonetheless true.

Being that this is a blog in which we are relating and explaining art, I woule like to choose a different artist to speak of as a side note. Tonight, I was fortunate enough to see Bruce Springsteen play at the Fieldhouse. It was truly a fantastic display of musical talent from the E-Street Band, but what i wish too linger on is the way the Bruce and the Band epitomize the essence of American music. the guitar is greatly influenced by the Blues, the saxophone and certain piano bits are taken directly from Jazz, the lyrics relate to the bohemian style of Bob Dylan and other poets from that era, and the lyrics and vocals derive from classic Rock'n'Roll.
The only way i could explain how this relates to life is if i focused on one song. But I merely wanted to comment on the way that Bruce has transcended the role of performer, and gone above the music, and is now literally an American working man's hero and a part of America culture as a whole.

1 comments:

MDooley729 said...

Eli, you have a wonderful tone and voice in this blog. I never knew you had such a deep connection with art. I also personally connect with van gogh and beleive him to be a liberator in the art community. I think he liberated other artists to look at a subject and paint it from their perspective, not the reality of the object. When i look at van gogh's pieces (especially starry night) i feel his madness but am also captivated by the painting's beauty. Great thoughts.
Id also like to add i think what you had to say about bruce was interesting. i dont listen to his music too much so you enlightened me with your thought that he is the american working man's hero.